Tenants's FAQ's

Tenants's FAQ's | Paul Lee & Company
  • What does Registered Applicant mean?

    It means you have given the Letting Agent your contact details, property requirements, rental budget and tenancy period, so they can find you your new home.

  • Why do I need to provide references and proof of identity?

    This is so the Letting Agent by conducting a credit check through a professional tenant referencing service can prove to the Landlord that your income/financial situation is adequate to meet your rental obligations. The referencing company will contact your employers/accountants and your current/previous Landlord.

    Right to Rent Checks, under Section 22 of The Immigration Act 2014 the law introduces from 1st February 2016, a requirement for all Landlords of private rental accommodation in England to determine whether occupiers have the right to live in the UK legally by carrying out Right to Rent checks before a new tenancy agreement is granted. This applies to All adult occupants aged 18 and over with tenancy agreements starting on or after 1st February 2016, that they intend to occupy as their only or main home.

    View and prove your immigration status: get a share code https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status



  • What is a Tenancy Agreement?

    This is the legally binding document that details the agreed terms and conditions of letting of the property between the Landlord and the Tenant. The tenancy agreement is a comprehensive document that lists the Landlords and the Tenants details, the rent, when the rent is due, the start and end dates, the deposit amount and the Landlords and Tenants obligations, responsibilities and rights.

  • Who holds my deposit?

    This will depend on the type of tenancy; the Letting Agent will advise you in writing when the terms of the letting are agreed, this will also be stated in the tenancy agreement. If the tenancy is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) the most common form of tenancy in the England and Wales. Then Tenants deposit will be subject to the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme (TDPS). This is a government approved scheme that requires by law that the Tenants deposit to be protected by one of the three insurance and custodial based schemes.   The Landlord can hold the deposit or pass it on to one of the schemes, as long as they and the deposit is registered with the TDPS. If the Letting Agent as Stakeholder is asked to hold the tenancy deposit in their Client’s bank account it will be registered with the TDS. In addition Paul Lee & Company has Client Money Protection (CMP). This is an insurance scheme that covers any money handled by the Letting Agent. Our CMP is provided by the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA Propertymark), the UK's government recognised professional body for Letting Agents.

  • Can I leave the property before the tenancy ends?

    Yes, the Letting Agent will negotiate this as part of the agreed terms of the tenancy. It can be agreed with the Landlord that you can have a break clause written into the tenancy agreement. A break clause allows either the Tenant or the Landlord to terminate the tenancy before the fixed term ends by giving each other a period of notice. A typical break clause in a fixed term one year tenancy agreement allows either party to serve the other two months notice after the first six months, so that the tenancy ends after a minimum period of eight months.

  • Can I renew the tenancy?

    Yes, the Letting Agent will contact both you and the Landlord two to three months before the end of the tenancy to ask if you would like to renew the tenancy. Depending on both parties responses the Letting Agent will negotiate terms for a tenancy renewal and will draw up the appropriate tenancy renewal documents.

  • Can my pet live in the flat?

    Inform the Letting Agent when you first register that you have a pet (dog, cat, bird etc.), then you will be advised if a pet is allowed when you view properties. Some Landlords will not accept pets for various reasons such a building lease restrictions or unsuitability. If the Landlord advises they will accept your pet, expect to be asked to pay a higher rent or and extra two week rent in the deposit. This will dependent on the type of tenancy to be granted either Assured Shorthold Tenancies (ASTs) that fall within the Housing Act where The Tenant Fees Act 2019 applies it may be possible to agree to pay the Landlord a higher rent for the tenancy term due to the deposit amount restriction. For tenancies that fall outside of the Housing Act a tenancy deposit can be agreed at an amount greater than six weeks rent if required, typically equal to eight weeks rent. A pet reference is useful if you have one from a previous Landlord.

  • When the tenancy ends do I have to clean the flat?

    All obligations for both the Tenant and the Landlord are covered in the tenancy agreement. The property and garden (if any) should be ready to hand over in the same state and condition at the start of the tenancy.

  • Do I need insurance for my belongings?

    Yes. The Landlords insurance policy will not cover your possessions. We strongly advise that you take out a Tenants contents insurance policy to protect your belongings such as furniture, electronic devices, jewellery, pictures and items of value against fire, damage and theft.

  • Who do I call if the boiler stops working?

    You will be advised at the start of the tenancy if the Landlord or the Letting Agent is managing the property. When a maintenance issue arises you should report this to the property manager, so the appropriate contactors or tradesmen can be contacted to visit the property to resolve the reported issue. Contractors and/or tradesmen is the general term used for the person who carries out the repairs or maintenance at the property to include heating engineers, plumbers, electricians, handymen or builders.

  • Who do I pay the rent to and by what method?

    You will be advised by the Letting Agent, if the rent is paid directly to the Landlord or collected by the Letting Agent. You will be supplied bank details, the rental amount to be paid and the rent due dates so that you can set up the standing order payment with your bank.

  • What else do I pay for when I live in the property?

    The utilities – the supply of gas, electricity and water, Council tax and Television licence. Installation and the subscription for cable or satellite services to include broadband internet. Insurance for personal belongings.   And, at the end of the tenancy to be liable for the costs of, All utility final accounts, Council tax and Television licence.

  • Is parking available?

    The Letting Agent will advise you if the property has parking either on site or in a garage. However, most parking is on the street. All London Boroughs have their own controlled parking zones (CPZ) for residents parking. You will need to contact the relevant local authority parking control department to make an application and pay for a Residents parking permit. They will ask you to prove that you are a resident by sending them a copy of your tenancy agreement. The valid permit must be displayed at all times on the inside of your car windscreen.

If you have any further questions please make contact here