Tenants Jargon Buster

Tenants Jargon Buster | Paul Lee & Company

A guide to the confusing terms used by lettings agents


This is the appliance used to circulate the gas central heating and hot water throughout the property.

Cable or Satellite Dish and Television Licence

This is for the supply of digital TV and broadband internet from Virgin Media, SKY or BT. You must be covered by a valid TV Licence to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV if you are a Tenant. This includes the use of devices such as a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box and DVD/VHS recorder.

Council Tax

This is a tax charged by the Local Authority to the person living in the property, the Tenant. The amount to pay varies, as it is based on the property value. The council tax is allocated as your contribution for local services such as refuse and recycling collections, the police and fire services.

Tenancy Documents and Instruction Manuals

The Letting Agent will provide you with copies of your tenancy agreement, inventory report and associated tenancy related documents (EPC, Gas certificate, TDS certificate, How to Rent Guide, What is the Tenancy Deposit Scheme). These should be kept in a file and carefully stored for your ease of reference as required. You will also find in the property a file supplied by the Landlord containing all of the appliance instruction manuals.

EPC - Energy Performance Certificate

This is a legally required report provided to the Tenant by the Landlord, to show how energy efficient the rented property is.

Gas Safety Certificate

This is a legally required annual report provided to the Tenant by the Landlord, to ensure that any gas appliance (boiler, gas hob/oven, gas fire) is operating safely in the property.

Inventory and check out

This is a professionally produced report by an independent inventory clerk. The report is a schedule of the condition of the property and the fixtures, fittings and furnishings provided by the Landlord at the commencement of the tenancy. Copies of the report will be supplied to both the Tenant and the Landlord at start of the tenancy. At the end of the tenancy the inventory report will be referred to by the inventory clerk to conduct a check out assessment report to detail the state and condition of the property once the Tenant has vacated.

Meter readings

These are required in order for the utility companies to charge for the supplies of the gas, electricity and water. Meter reading are taken by the inventory clerk at the start and the end of the tenancy. The readings are listed in the inventory and check out reports. The Tenant is required to set up accounts in their name at the start of tenancy with the utility service providers for the entire duration of the tenancy, and to settle the final accounts at the end of the tenancy.

Gas, Electricity and Water

These meters are devices installed by the utility supplier to measure the utility usage in the property.


If you have any further questions, or want to register, please contact us here